Committed

Wednesday, November 24, 2010
I'm currently reading Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert, the follow up to Eat, Pray, Love. It's been a slow process, whereas I devoured Eat, Pray, Love (likely caused by the fact that I was, indeed, reading the book on sloooow Italian trains).


Prior to the movie coming out this past summer, I had read a lot of blogs from travelers who generally disliked EPL for whatever reasons. The reasons that stuck with me though, is that her writing is narcissistic, her story is narcissistic/unrealistic/etc. These were things that I never experienced while reading EPL. But, I can certainly see in Committed how her writing can be narcissistic. In fact, there are times when Gilbert's writing just starts to grate on my nerves. Perhaps that's why I've struggled to get through this one.

But, for all the times that I just want to punch Gilbert in the face, she manages to redeem herself with some really great passages. And while it's auto-biographical and the insights aren't particularly revolutionary or earth-shattering, it is nice to see that Gilbert can take old cliches and apply them to her own life. Rather than being preachy, Gilbert comes off as a friend giving you guidance and advice (that occasionally you want to punch, hard).

All in all, I'll be glad when it's over (I can't wait to get to The Lost Girls!), but I'll be glad to have read it. And it may become useful for when I get married? Maybe?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

The accusations of narcissism have dissauded me from picking up her books thus far.

Katherine said...

The first time I picked up Eat Pray Love, I actually couldn't read it after a few pages. I eventually went back to it and finished it but there were many moments when I groaned aloud, "get over yourself!" But I have to say, I did enjoy the movie based on the pretty shots and I love being an armchair traveller.

The Anthology said...

Ahaha! I was wondering what this would be like.

Mayhaps I'll have to read it (after I finish Oh, Play That Thing).

*Kelsey