5 NYFW Travel Tips

Tuesday, February 28, 2012
This was my second stint at New York Fashion Week (or Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, if you will) and   I've compiled a list of travel tips to help you get through the week.


  1. Plan what to bring. As much as we all leave packing until the last minute, this is one time where you don't want to do that. You don't need to plan your exact outfit (since NY weather can be just as cray as Vancouver), but bring pieces that you can mix with each other.
  2. Maximize your time - pick good flights. If you're like me and have a day job, you know how precious those vacation days are. In order to maximize my time in NYC, I fly Cathay Pacific. It's a red-eye out of Vancouver and the return flight gives you a full day to pack (or nurse your hangover), before heading back to work the next day...a little worse for wear.
  3. Bring a portable steamer. You don't want to be traipsing to a show with unsightly wrinkles that you could have easily taken care of. If you want to be taken seriously, take yourself seriously and look presentable.
  4. Bring flats that you can stuff in your purse. You probably aren't always going to carry around a hobo bag or satchel, so you need flats that can fit into a clutch or small bag. My Ferragamo flats do this, but sometimes they still don't fit. Solution? Dr. Scholl's fast flats. But bring a pouch for them, you probably don't want to know where the soles have been.
  5. Pack your bag using dry cleaner bags. What??! Dry cleaner bags are designed to prevent wrinkles (who knew?!). I tested this out on my recent trip and I have to say I was impressed. While I still had wrinkles, there were significantly less than had I not used the dry cleaner bags (silk shirts, I'm talking to you).

No comments: