3 New Things I Learned in New York

Thursday, September 29, 2011
My most recent trip to New York was my fourth time in The City, but the first time that a) I didn't do anything touristy and, b) the first time I stayed in Manhattan. What a different experience.

I love that travel is such a different experience every time you go somewhere, old or new, so there are always opportunities to learn new and experience new things.

Here are 3 new things I learned about New York:

Hot boys congregate in Murray Hill.
We stayed in Murray Hill and it was like living on a University campus - loads of cute boys! It's not the coolest or most exciting area, but if you're on the prowl for hot university-aged boys, come here.

Taking cabs is economical...
...on your wallet and your time. I hadn't used taxis as a serious mode of transportation in NYC, but now that I have...wow. There are the obvious stereotypes about there being cabs lining the street, and while that is a bit extreme, cabs are so easily accessible. No waiting for 20-30 minutes to hail a cab. No insane fast fare ticker while you're sitting in traffic. To get from the Lincoln Centre to SoHo, it was $15. In Vancouver that would easily cost $20+. My feet thanked me so much for taking cabs because there isn't always a subway station around when you're wearing your tranny heels.

New York pizza is meh.
After hearing about how amazing the pizza was in NYC, I was super stoked to try it. It's good. But I definitely prefer Megabite. But, I'm not sure if that's just because of the awesome garlic sauce. (This statement excludes Grimaldi's.)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Town cars are surprisingly economical too even though they seem super ritzy. The first time I stayed in New York, the concierge at my hotel called a town car for me when I had to switch hotels mid-stay. They agreed upon a price for me in advance to go from the Upper West Side to the Lower East Side. It only cost $20 plus tip.

Katy said...

Nothing beats Joyce Pizza. :P

My dream is moving to New York one day... you're so lucky you got to go!