Prime Time

Tuesday, December 8, 2009
More and more women are using makeup primers these days. For those who don't know, primers go on like a lotion (after your moisturizer and before your makeup) and create a barrier between your makeup and your skin. This prevents the clogging of pores by all the grime and filth in makeup. Primers also give the makeup something to adhere to, making your makeup last longer.

I've used 3 different primers. The first one I used was Philosophy's The Present. I don't remember much about this product, but it's gotten good reviews. I didn't have any complaints about this product, but I suppose that I didn't love it enough to continue using it.

The second one I used was the highly recommended Smashbox Photo Finish. It's quite expensive ($36 (1oz.) - $49 (2oz.) ), yes, but I can assure you that it is amazing. It's a mattefying formula, removing any shine from your skin. Plus it's full of antioxidants, is scent-free and makes your skin feel silky.



The primer I'm using now is Make Up For Ever's HD Microperfecting Primer. This product goes for $32 (1.01oz.). I bought it because I was curious about the HD line, and because I was trying to save a bit of money. The formula is a bit more moisturizer-like than the Photo Finish, but almost a bit too runny. It provides a nice sheen/lustre to my skin, but not oily looking. However, the smell...ugh. It reminds me of an old lady. The scent is very purfumey.


In the end, I'm glad that I tried out the HD Microperfecting Primer, but the scent is a huge deterrent for me. I can tell you that I will definitely be purchasing Photo Finish the next time I need primer. It doesn't just win out because it's scent-free but because it's definitely a great product and I loved the way it felt on my skin.

Images from Sephora

No comments: